By Ivie Lock-Luttmer, Precision Nutrition L1
Weight loss goals? Here are 5 strategies you can use to reach your goals:
- Eat. Real. Food. No, seriously, if it had eyes or grew from the ground, that’s a green light. Eating real food means you can eat a higher volume of food for fewer calories. This will help you feel satisfied with your meals. Whole foods are also generally very nutrient dense, which has a plethora of benefits (increase energy, hormone regulation, reduce cravings, reduce inflammation, and more!).
2. Drink water, and then drink a little more. Did you know that your body often confuses hunger and thirst? Approximately 70% of the time you feel snackish, you’re probably just thirsty. Drink a tall glass of water and re-assess in 20 minutes.
3. Understand physical hunger vs emotional hunger. Rule of thumb, ‘hunger’ that comes over you suddenly and feels urgent is most likely emotional hunger. Try doing a self-care activity, going for a walk, or taking a shower instead of rummaging through the cupboard. Is your hunger slowly increasing over a couple hours? Great! When you feel 7/10 hunger, make yourself a properly portioned plate, eat slowly, and stop when you are 8/10 full.
4. Build the proper plate: this includes prepping foods in advance! Preparing meals consisting of veggies, lean protein, and a healthy fat (+a carb source post workout) makes the healthiest choice the easiest one. Make your goals as easy to achieve as possible.
5. Track your food. You don’t have to weigh and measure every food to the decimal, but being aware of how much food you are eating is proven to improve quality and quantity control. Keep yourself accountable!
BONUS Hire a coach! If you’re having trouble losing weight, or reaching your fitness goals, another perspective is often necessary to help push past your barriers. Book a consult HERE if you’re ready to work on your nutrition and lifestyle.